The Benefits and Drawbacks of Metal Roofing
Many individuals are now shifting towards the trend of installing metal roofs. We are going to look at some of the benefits as to why people consider metal roofs. We also will discuss some drawbacks.
- It has a longer life-span. The biggest advantage as to why people are shifting towards metal roofs is its longevity. Among all the components of house remodeling, roofing is considered to be the most expensive one. So, because it’s usually a one-time investment, people would want something which lasts longer. According to some reviews, businesses established in Texas concluded that their commercial metal roofs had proven a life-span of 50+ years.
- Durability. Since roofs are responsible for protecting the whole house, especially the inner side and people living in it, roofs should be strong enough to withstand anything. Traditional roofs become damaged because of extreme weather conditions whereas metal is known to be resilient and strong for extreme weather conditions. Metal roofs are capable of withstanding winds up to 140MPH.
- It is sustainable. Everyone wants sustainability these days. It is considered that things which can be recycled have more value than other things. Metal roofs are made out from 25% to 35% recycled materials and at the end of its product life cycle, it has recycled value of 100%, which means it can be recycled to make another metal roof. Imagine the money you can save on it.
- Fire resistance. Another advantage which you can add to your list, indeed a very advantage. Traditional roofs can easily catch fire in case of any fire emergency, whereas a metal roof will not be able to catch any fire.
- Does not attract insects. Another major problem of a traditional roof is that it retains moisture and easily rots. Because of this a lot of insects start to infest in the roofs causing major damages to it. Metal roofs do not retain moisture; hence the insects are not drawn to it.
- Design choices. Unlike traditional roofs, metal roofs have a lot of designs to choose from. You can easily decide on a design which makes your house looks perfect and beautiful.
- It is expensive. Lots of people will argue on this matter but actually, metal roofs are expensive. A metal roof can be three times expensive as other types of woods, depending upon the size.
- Beware of improper installations. Since metal roofs are expensive, it is difficult and expensive to install them. Installation done by an inexperienced contractor can mess things up. You must make sure that the contractor is from a reputable company. If your metal roof is not installed properly then it can lead to issues, for example, the metal needs to breathe due to expansion and contraction. If not installed correctly, the metal panels may loosen.
- It can be dented. Even though metal roofs are known to withstand heavy conditions, still it can be dented due to falling branches. This is pretty much of a deal-breaker.
- Noisy. Another disadvantage of metal roof is that it can be noisy. For example, you are sleeping peacefully and suddenly rain starts to pour and gets faster, the dripping sound of water will be doubled on the metal. However, it can be prevented by using insulated sheets on the top.
Types of Metal Roofs
- Metal tile roofs
- Standing seam metal roofs
- Metal slate roofs
- Tin roofing
- Zinc metal roof
- Aluminium roofs
- Copper roofs
- Steel roofs
Metal roofs maintenance
Since metal roofs are expensive to install, if one decides to get metal roofs for their home, they must regularly maintain it to prevent further expense on it. Some of the major problems that metal roofs incur are
- Galvanic corrosion
Regular maintenance every once a year is very important. The maintenance should not be done by you, you must hire a professional roofing company to do the job. The problems mentioned above can be fixed or prevented from becoming a big problem in the future. Likewise, individuals ask how to prolong the lives of their roofs. It has an actually obvious and relatively easy answer. Regular maintenance will eventually increase the life-span of your metal roofs. Metal roofs are strong and durable, this does not mean that they do not require care and maintenance. As a matter of fact, metal roofs require more care than traditional roofs. It is quite clear that no individual would want their roof to be dirty, old or damaged. If you automatically assume that installing the metal roof is all the expense you will incur, well you are wrong. You will have to spend on its maintenance every once a year to keep alive, well and healthy.
After discussing the pros and cons of metal roofing, every one of you will have a different idea. Some of you have already decided to have, some of you are still thinking and some have already concluded the idea as vague. Know this, if you are not going for it just because of the maintenance cost, then you might be making a big mistake because even traditional roofs will need to be maintained regularly. Sure, they are expensive but they are a one-time investment which is sure to increase the value of your home. If you are planning to sell your house in the future, this is the best thing you can think of. Modern problems require modern solutions since we are advancing and evolving, then why not make the best choice possible.